Edmonton Roof Repair
5 Things You Can Do to Avoid Roof Leaks
|Roof Repair Edmonton Apr 22, 2014|
By +Tyler Sinclair - Staff Writer
April 23, 2014
24 Hour Emergency Roof Repair Service: Edmonton Local 1.780.424.7663, Toll Free 1.877.497.3528 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Well, the spring rains are here and it's time to be sure your roof won't leak. Everyone in Edmonton woke up to torrential rains this morning. The Weather Network is reporting rain last evening and today in Edmonton that could accumulate in some areas as much as 30mm of rain.
Whether it is a sloped or a flat roof, commercial or a residential - the 5 DIY pointers below will help be sure you don't experience roof leaks.
1. Roof Inspections - Every spring get a roof inspection done by a qualified Edmonton roof repair contractor. If you are a "do-it-yourself" type then be sure you do it every spring right before the rains. Two days ago in Edmonton would have been perfect. The rain this spring has sort of caught us all by surprise today. Look for holes, tears, and various issues with your roof that may cause a leak. For flat roof systems we have a page dedicated to items for roof inspections and roof maintenance check lists.
2. Clear Gutters, Downspouts, Scuppers, Internal Drains, and Drainage - Get the leaves and debris out of your gutters and downs. If you haven't the tools or you would prefer to hire a contractor then call us or your regular trusted contractor to clear them right away. Back-ups in eaves-trough and downspouts is one of the main reasons for water backing up under the sheathing (roof deck) and in to your home or business causing a leak.
On flat roof systems it is critical to clear debris from drains and external over-flow scuppers. As above, this will cause a leak in your roof faster than most other issues. Additionally important on low slope roof systems is the actual slope of the roof itself and making sure the slope is allowing for proper drainage - if not, this needs to be corrected immediately.
3. Inspect for Blisters, Tears and UV Damage - On flat roof systems if you find any blisters or bubbles that when pressed seem to have air or water in them then get these repaired immediately. And with flat roofs and pitched roofs and tears in the membrane or shingles be sure to have those areas repaired also. Flat roofs that have gravel covering them to protect them from UV rays and shingles that have granules which also protect from UV be sure are in order. On tar and gravel roofs be sure the gravel is spread out and no bitumen (tar) is showing. With shingles be sure the granules have not worn off.
4. Inspect all Vents, Flashing, and Penetrations - On flat and sloped roofs there will be various vents, plumbing stacks, jacks, flashing, and penetrations. It is critical that you inspect them in detail to be sure any caulking that is required gets re-caulked and that all areas have no holes, blisters, tears, etc.
5. Inspect your Attic for Moisture - Either hire a contractor to do this or get up in your attic and check for moisture. Be sure the underside of the sheathing is not wet or showing signs of moisture. Check your insulation and be sure it is dry. While up there check to be sure insulation isn't covering the intake air at your soffits and that there is enough ventilation (exhaust) at the peak of the roof.
About Our Repair Services
We maintain a 24 hour service for roofing emergencies. Emergency roofing and preventative roof maintenance are our specialization.
We service and replace all roof systems - flat roofs, metal roofing, and all pitched roofing on residential, commercial, and industrial.
Our senior roofers are very experienced. We hire Red Seal Journeymen and we have an apprenticeship program for the development of staff.
We also service and replace all other roof components such as hatches, curbs, skylights, flashing, sheet metal, insulation, scuppers, drains, gutters, downspouts, soffit, siding, and fascia.
We are City of Edmonton Licensed, are Alberta Provincially Registered, carry 5,000,000,00 Commercial Liability Insurance, are WCB Registered, our roofer's are Certified, we hire Red Seal Journeymen, and we maintain a Lifetime Workmanship Guarantee.
Our services are available in Edmonton and the following areas of Alberta:
Athabasca, Barrhead, Beaumont, Bon Accord, Calmar, Camrose, Cold Lake, Drayton Valley, Edmonton, Edson, Fairview, Fort McMurray, Fort Saskatchewan, Gibbons, Grande Prairie, High Prairie, Hinton, Innisfree, Jasper, Lac La Biche, Lamont, Leduc, Lloydminster, Mayerthorpe, Millet, Morinville, Panoka, Peace River, Sherwood Park, St. Albert, Slave Lake, Smoky Lake, Spruce Grove, Stony Plain, Thorhild, Thorsby, Tofield, Two Hills, Valley View, Vegreville, Vermilion, Wainwright, Westlock, Wetaskiwin, Whitecourt and points between.
Emergency Service 24/7 Call 1.780.424.7663 or 1.877.497.3528 Toll Free.
Edmonton Roof Repair
3428 99 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta Canada